February 5, 2015

Part I: Bad luck comes in threes

Hello, anyone who is reading this! It's Jordyn writing today.

So I did a horrible job documenting my time between when Alex and I found out that we were going on exchange and today (the day we leave)... AKA I didn't do it. At all. Essentially, packing was an arduous process as was getting my life together pre-flight (e.g. I didn't get my travel insurance until the day before we left... *GASP* I know... but guess what, Alex didn't get it until the DAY we left.). Haha that would cause any type A person to go into cardiac arrest I'm sure. BUT WAIT, there's more... 

So today was the last day Alex and I spent in Canada for the next half a year. It's so surreal. And although it's just the start of our day long trip and already it's been a challenge. We got to the airport and were checking in with our airlines so I went first, everything went well and I checked my luggage... then next was Alex. Now due to Alex's citizenship he needs to always complete a form whenever traveling to or transferring within the US. Sadly, Alex forgot to go online prior to fill out an ESTA application to allow him to enter into the states. And of course whenever you're in any kind of rush that's when technology decides to fail. And today was no exception. Alex had completed the form, it had been processed, and then when he was about to pay... the system wouldn't allow him to pay. WHAT. 

After getting assistance sent over and waiting for Alex's application to be processed and paid for we rushed over to the check-in gate and what do you know... the gate had already closed. So after waiting all that time for Alex's application to be processed and received he didn't even manage to make the flight. The next few minutes all happened to quickly. I had to say hurried goodbyes to my family (which my mom agreed was better for her emotionally haha) and head over to security and then my gate, which of course was one of the farthest gates. So I don't run, or exercise, or get any form of true physical activity in... and I had to bust my ass to make it to my gate in time for boarding. Hands down, the most exercise I've had all year. Thankfully, I made it with 15 minutes to spare and headed out to LAX on my own hoping to God Alex was able to manage getting on another flight to make it in time for our flight to Sydney.




Once in LAX I realized that I actually had no idea where my bags were or where I needed to go. So I saw an Aussie guy from my flight asking one of the airport workers the same questions I had so we ended up sticking together to find out where to transfer to get to our new gates. Little did I know he was rather arrogant, self-absorbed, and would eat my chicken strips without asking me! Haha let me explain. During our layover we stuck together to figure out where we were going and all that. After many one-sided conversations of me asking how his stay in Vancouver was, what his favourite part was, what he did for work and school... we eventually went to go grab food. I got chicken strips and fries and being polite I offered him some of my fries. He took a couple fries to begin with, no big deal I had offered. But when I finished my food then this conversation happened:


Aussie: "You didn't eat a lot."
Me: "I'm saving the rest for my boyfriend when he gets here."
Aussie: "No, I don't think you will."

*A few mins later*

Aussie: "Does the chicken taste horrible?"
Me: "No it's pretty good."

*Without asking Aussie grabs my chicken strip, dips it in ranch, and proceeds to eat the chicken, fries, and lettuce under the chicken*





I was flabbergasted. What just happened? I wish I had said something or called him out on his sheer rudeness but I was floored. Yup, definitely not saving that anymore. Luckily we were transferring at different gates so I once I saw my gate I peaced it. Adios, mooch-acho!!

So I ended up just waiting at the gate for my flight for Alex an hour before boarding time. And then this happened: 

HE MADE IT!

So we boarded our flight to Sydney with Qantas airlines on an Airbus! Double decker madness. Hugest plane I've ever been on! And it was heavily equipped with so many cool things to keep you thoroughly entertained for the entire 15 hour flight! A plethora of movies, TV shows, music, games (there was a remote/games controller for each seat), a feature that allowed you to connect your USB stick to watch your own media, a realtime camera on the back wing of the plane to see the view from above, and even a messaging service that allowed you to chat with other passengers by seat number! The list of cool features on this plane was endless... and I'm only speaking on behalf of economy class. With the size of it being so massive each bathroom section had about four separate washrooms, so no wait and tons of space. There was even a little snack bar with free drinks, snacks, as well as complimentary socks and eye masks. Say what?! Awesome.


Overall, it was a fairly turbulent plane ride but we both slept a good amount, albeit not comfortably nor straight but we did. Then we were finally in Sydney! Part two of this post will explain what happened once we got off the plane... and yet another challenge we faced along the way.

Jordyn

No comments:

Post a Comment